Team Honduras

Monday, January 20, 2014

What are YOU searching for?

While doing laundry I came across the dreaded basket of missing socks. It seems that we are always searching for the missing sock. However, it seems like more and more lost ones end up in the pile. Now, we have two baskets full of lonely, useless socks. I started to thing about us as people. We are always searching for something. We are searching for missing socks...brown, white, blue, gray, black...and the list goes on and on. At the same time there are a mixture of people searching for something as well. It maybe fame, fortune, happiness, family, a sense of belonging. Our Pastor back home in North Carolina uses this phrase often...."everyone has a void in their life....a God shape void that only HE can fill". It is true...many are searching for something and many know what can make them whole but they never want to admit it and accept it. Many even call out HIS name when trouble comes and when trials are near...however...they never commit to serving HIM. I have only been to one music concert in my life and that was when I was in high school. I went to hear a country artist. Now, if I had paid for my ticket and he would have been lip-singing.....I would have been angry and felt belittled. Here I paid to hear him sing, and he doesn't even want to show his fans how much they have helped to shape his life and career. You know God is like that. He paid the ultimate price for you and me and some of  us come to him with lip service not heart service. You only call on HIM when you really have a problem and for you HE might be your last resort. You don't seek HIS wisdom or HIS love. I was reading this morning in Proverbs 1 verses 27 and 28...the Bible says, When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. (verse 28) Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer, they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

Don't let the Lord be like that missing sock. You keep searching knowing that you will probably not find it but you keep holding onto the old one....just like our sin natured lives...we keep holding on to the old things, the things in the past. We never want to put it in the trash......but I encourage you today.....put your old things in the past....look to the Lord and let HIM fill that hole that needs to be filled. Once you look to HIM and let HIM fill you....you will not need to search anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment